Thursday, September 22, 2011

About how much will it cost to replace head gasket in a 1985 Mercruiser 165 hp?

Last summer I changed the oil in my boat only to find out that there was a ton of water in the oil. I originally thought the block was probly cracked but i now think it is a head gasket because it had also been leaking coolant. Does this sound right? About how much do you think it will cost to have a marine mechanic diagnose the problem and replace if it is the head gasket (hopefully it is)? Thanks.About how much will it cost to replace head gasket in a 1985 Mercruiser 165 hp?
depends on what kind of water is in the oil antifreeze=head gsk,

head or block. fresh water=exhast manifold leaking water back past

valves and then past pistons to crankcase. ihad same trouble on my

165hp last fall and my trouble was the exhast manifold. iresealed

head as well anyway because its not that much more work .did it

in a day, got my parts from napa very reasonable. if you do it yourself

just make sure you have a mercruiser manual.the motor is basicly a

chev 250