Thursday, September 22, 2011

2000 Chevy Malibu headgasket. How much would it cost to repair? How do I know for sure if its the head gasket?

I'm not sure if my headgasket has gone bad or not. Changed my waterpump and thermostat. They didn't put the Dex-Cool antifreeze in when they changed it...could that be it? It continues to overheat. I know I have to change the oil also, so I'm not sure if the color of the oil is from it not being changed. There is no white smoke coming from the exhaust. Whats my next step???2000 Chevy Malibu headgasket. How much would it cost to repair? How do I know for sure if its the head gasket?
If no white smoke then my guess is head gasket ok, maybe bad themostate, replace it again (was it put in upside down?) Color of used oil should be black, any other color may be some kind of trouble. Are you losing antifrieeze? maybe it is intake manifold gasket?2000 Chevy Malibu headgasket. How much would it cost to repair? How do I know for sure if its the head gasket?
the other person is right.the old oil should be black and if you dont have water in your oil or theres no white smoke,then its safe to say its not a head gasket.change the thermostat again,you could have gotten a bad 1,and make sure the spring goes in the engine,and have the entire cooling system flushed.also did you check the fan and see if it works.