Saturday, November 20, 2010

How do I know if I need to mill the head when I change the head gasket on my 97 dodge p/u with v/8?

Are there any symptoms. Do I need to do both sides?How do I know if I need to mill the head when I change the head gasket on my 97 dodge p/u with v/8?
You must check it with a straight edge and use a feeler gauge to see how much the head is off. If it is within spec, then no, as long as there is no pits in the head or bad roughness.How do I know if I need to mill the head when I change the head gasket on my 97 dodge p/u with v/8?
If the head is warped in any way you should mill it. You have to check it. they can do it at the mech shop. Yes you should do both sides since this will change your compression ratio.How do I know if I need to mill the head when I change the head gasket on my 97 dodge p/u with v/8?
If you have had excessive overheating and the heads are warped you will need to have them shaved, and you have to do botha at the same time or one bank will have a higher compression ratio and that is not fun. Basically look for obvious damage, pitting corrosion, warping, dings, dents and the like. Usually you do not have to shave the heads. this is done to increase compression and horsepower. You will also need to run a higher quality of fuel after shaving the heads.



Race hard.....How do I know if I need to mill the head when I change the head gasket on my 97 dodge p/u with v/8?
do you? have to mill the head? check if the gasget is town/ then go from there let your local shop know? scraping can do the trick? new gasget should conform to Head? and fit nicely.. if leaks persist then milling?How do I know if I need to mill the head when I change the head gasket on my 97 dodge p/u with v/8?
it is cheap insurance to mill them any time you blow a head gasket. when the gasket blows it is usually for a reason, if you don't mill them most likely you will be replacing them again. take them to a machinr shop and have them magnafluxed and they will check for straightness and if they are cracked.How do I know if I need to mill the head when I change the head gasket on my 97 dodge p/u with v/8?
there is a tool that is a perfectly machiened straight edge that you lay against the surface of a cleaned cyl. head if you can slide a .004 feeler gauge between it and the head then you need to get the head resurfaced, it is always a wise idea to do both head gaskets and have them checked out by a machine shop before reinstalling them , it may save you from having to do the job twice.How do I know if I need to mill the head when I change the head gasket on my 97 dodge p/u with v/8?
my friend, the best thing to do after you pull the head, is to pull the other one. primarily because the majority of the time what happens to one, has or will happen to the other. I equate that with only changing one wheel of brakes instead each axle. And yes, spend the money and take them to a reputable machine shop to have them checked. You will b e surprised at what they will find, and you will be even more surprised at how repairing/replacing the heads will affect the performance of your car. good luckHow do I know if I need to mill the head when I change the head gasket on my 97 dodge p/u with v/8?
You lay a straightedge on the surface and look for gaps more than .005%26quot;